Announced Category Maps feature

Customer voting

• Nope, no use case for this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sperber

As discussed over at XenForo(https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tl-social-groups-paid.146487/post-1327938) in April with an announced release date in about 2 weeks (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tl-social-groups-paid.146487/post-1340466) , still waiting for that feature to be implemented.

Repost:
"regarding discussion groups in general, facebook and others demonstrate, that nearly half of them are related to local places, cities, companies or other topics related to a physical location. It is quite difficult and uncomfortable for visitors to find groups in their vicinity in such location-dependent groups. Given that over 50% of all visitors visit websites with their mobile phones or tablets, this is a huge factor and literally a decision criterion for them (and a purchase criterion for your add-on) as to whether visitors use the group feature - or not.

I catched fire by the idea of an implementation, Bob already did with one of his add-ons. Since social groups already support the Google API, a similar implementation should be possible for you without bigger problems. I've created a few mockups that explain the function better.

SG general options has the Google-Api key already included. This can be used - on a per category basis - to activate geolocation in this and show a category map above the group-listing in that particular category:
add_group.png

This category setting activates the adress search when creating a new group in this category:

categorymap_category-setting.png

And the result in that category_view would look like this:

mockup_category_maps_with_clickable_panel.jpg

I guess, the result would speak for itself"

Last edited:

Is there any update on the category maps? As far I could dig in, GoogleMaps never have and still do not require a mysql 8 version.

This would also be great as a general standalone plugin, so that members can mark their city, like a membermap.

Back