Some questions about the Sendy Integration addon

Stuart Wright

Hello, I have some comments and questions, please.
Firstly, after setting up the options in your addon, I realised that I was running Sendy 5.x and that I needed to install 6.x so that your addon could import the brand information to get the List IDs (see the screen capture below with the empty List ID drop down). So anyone with this same issue, upgrade to Sendy 6.x and then run the hourly cron to import the List IDs.

1669327797850.webp

To the questions:
First, what does Silent subscribe do? What difference does it make?

Second, would you consider modifying the addon so that it syncs members in a usergroup with Sendy?
To explain, I have a check box custom user field Subscribe to newsletters which is a user preference. Ticking this adds them to a usergroup Newsletter subscribers using a usergroup promotion. While the check box is ticked, the usergroup is added.
1.webp
and in the User field criteria
2.webp
And people can subscribe by ticking the check box in their profile (and other ways that aren't important).
Subscribing adds them to a usergroup Newsletter subscribers. I use a usergroup because I want to give members perks if they subscribe to the newsletter. E.g. they can then enter our competitions.
So I need your addon to use the usergroup as the source of subscribers. And when people unsubscribe via Sendy, they must be removed from the usergroup by unchecking the check box.

To do this, the forum admin would need to
  • create a custom user field check box preference for people to tick to subscribe and untick to unsubscribe
3.webp
and
  • create a usergroup for subscribers
and your addon would need to allow admin to select the usergroup to use as the list of subscribers and select the custom user field check box to use when people unsubscribe using Sendy. When people unsubscribe via sendy, in the above example, you have to set the value of the custom user field marketing_emails to null.

I hope this makes sense. It's really important to have the mailing list subscribers in a separate usergroup so I can give them perks. It means we have way more subscribers.

Thanks

Stuart Wright "Silent subscribe" option is offer from Sendy. That option is map to field Silent.

silent set to "true" if your list is 'Double opt-in' but you want to bypass that and signup the user to the list as 'Single Opt-in instead' (optional)

The custom user field controls who has the usergroup. It uses a usergroup promotion to do this. See my screen captures above.
If the custom user field is ticked (value=1 means subscribed) then the usergroup is added to the user account. If the field is unticked, the usergroup is removed.

So if someone unsubscribes using the link in the newsletter, they are removed on Sendy, this user field has to also change to null. null=unsubscribed.

The custom user field controls who has the usergroup. It uses a usergroup promotion to do this. See my screen captures above.
If the custom user field is ticked (value=1 means subscribed) then the usergroup is added to the user account. If the field is unticked, the usergroup is removed.

So if someone unsubscribes using the link in the newsletter, they are removed on Sendy, this user field has to also change to null. null=unsubscribed.
Stuart WrightThis is very specific case usage. I don't think it could be work for other,

This is very specific case usage. I don't think it could be work for other,
TruonglvI understand your concern, however, I do have a strong case for implementing my idea.
First, using a custom user field for people to subscribe to a newsletter is standard functionality and a very logical idea. Because it can be used with usergroup promotions to add and remove usergroups from accounts based on the value of the custom field.
Without an additional addon, this is the only way (that I know of) to create a mailing list with the ability for users to opt in and out.
Second, if you provide admin options to specify the custom user field ID and the values for subscribed and unsubscribed, then with just these three new values, your addon can automatically subscribe and unsubscribe people using the Sendy API.

Back