[IMPLEMENTED] Calendar events viewable by public

TD Perry

Would be nice if the calendar had an option to allow the public to be able to view the event entry.
That way, in a closed group, if that have an event that the public can attend/participate in (like a star party), it would show up in the Group page and visitors could see them.
The other events would still be group specific.

It should be respects group privacy if you want anyone access your group content; its should be public group

It should be respects group privacy if you want anyone access your group content; its should be public group
TruonglvYou miss the point....
Yes, I realize having it in a closed social group it respects that privacy... or having it in an open group it respects that.

What I am referring to is the ability have a closed group.
I put our weekly whatever events that are specific to us in there and only those in the group can see them.
Then, we have a monthly public (anyone can attend) get together. If I put it in that calendar... it is ONLY viewable by the group, the public cannot see it. It would be nice if there was an option available upon creation of an event to BYPASS the closed group only viewing and allow it to be viewed by Visitors or other site users that were NOT in that group.

We DON'T want the group open to just anyone to be able to hop on and start jabbering... that's why they are targeted at regional groups... But those groups have PUBLIC events that the calendar cannot be used to display as it sits, only events that the specific group can see.

It seems a little ridiculous that one would need to go out and purchase another add-on (specifically a calendar/event one) just so that users can create public events in when Social Groups could have that ability.
I already have an excess of add-ons that results in the navigation bar stretching beyond view and having to scroll on my style... adding yet another add-on would just exacerbate the issue.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.59.11 AM.webp

Last edited:
Is having a calendar entry shown as group or public viewable that big of an issue on coding?
I would assume it would not be that hard as the base calendar infrastructure is there, and it should be as simple as adding the option to check against an DB entry that was created upon item creation and either view it for the public or not.

Is having a calendar entry shown as group or public viewable that big of an issue on coding?
I would assume it would not be that hard as the base calendar infrastructure is there, and it should be as simple as adding the option to check against an DB entry that was created upon item creation and either view it for the public or not.
TD PerryIt's not hard to just add a column for it but it requires completely re-design and change event flow.

It's not hard to just add a column for it but it requires completely re-design and change event flow.
TruonglvAny idea if this will be done. It would only tend to increase the functionality of the add-on. Being able to have both public AND private calendar events would be very beneficial to many that use a groups add-on. I would think it would be readily apparent that being able to list group only events for the group and then having separate events for ANYONE to participate in would benefit almost every group use.
Honestly... if it's not, I'll probably look more towards a calendar/events add-on as it would ultimately be more beneficial as I can always add forum prefixes for forum discussions.

Any idea if this will be done. It would only tend to increase the functionality of the add-on. Being able to have both public AND private calendar events would be very beneficial to many that use a groups add-on. I would think it would be readily apparent that being able to list group only events for the group and then having separate events for ANYONE to participate in would benefit almost every group use.
Honestly... if it's not, I'll probably look more towards a calendar/events add-on as it would ultimately be more beneficial as I can always add forum prefixes for forum discussions.
TD PerryThanks. I try to make it live in next release.

TD Perry To summary: You want to event calendar display events of all groups you're joined. Right?

TD Perry To summary: You want to event calendar display events of all groups you're joined. Right?
TruonglvNo, having the ability to grant certain calendar events to be viewable by all (guests and non-group members) then being able to have calendar events viewable by ONLY group members.
Have it as an option during calendar event creation of something like
Public Event
Group Only event
as options, with the public event shown to anyone and group only to that specific group.

This would allow true public events to be seen by all, but then also the ability to have events that are specific to the group members (say a lunch get-together) ONLY seen by them.

TruonglvJust to touch base here... this is the current event creation page.

example_groups.webp

What I am proposing is adding another field there that the person making the entry can select to show the event as a public event (that any guest/non member can see when viewing the calendar) or a group only event that only group members can see.
I realize this isn't a real big priority, but for some groups that are closed, but do have open events (say public events for fund raising, etc) it would be nice for all users of the site to be able to see them instead of the closed group that is probably already aware of the event(s).
For me, the calendar feature is the biggest part of the groups... if I had to choose between this add-on or an add-on that could create public/private events....the one that could create the public/private events would win. There is one being worked on that I am aware of, and it very likely will have this feature... if so, it will probably be what I fall back to if this add-on is not going to be able to do that. This add-on simply has a few more features I would prefer to have rolled into what the site uses.

Last edited:
Back