[NOT A BUG] Users can no longer view group discussion forums

Brettflan

I just updated our large forum from XenForo 2.1.12 to 2.2.2. After that, I updated the Social Groups addon from 2.3.0 to 3.0.4.

Now, nobody can apparently view group discussion forums, whether they are group admin, moderator, or member. As an actual forum administrator, I can see them all myself. Everyone else gets this when trying to view a group discussion forum:

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You may become to a member of this group <group name and link is here> to view the content.
I tried rebuilding all caches for this addon (multiple times), as well as rebuilding the addon itself. No luck.

On my test account which has regular user permissions, I created a new group, and (as the group admin of this new group) added a discussion forum. I get that same error above on this newly created discussion forum of this new group. So it's not just something that affects older existing groups or member roles.

The category and forum nodes where these group discussion forums are added were set to not visible on the forum index; I tried switching those to visible, but no luck there either.

I'm struggling to think what else I can try to fix this problem.

Last edited:
Truonglv

As this is a large live forum, I'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible.

EDIT:
Also, I should add that my test forum which I make all major changes to first (to ensure there are no problems) does not exhibit this behavior; it's working fine there. I've gone over all options for this addon and role permissions and can find no differences, so I'm at a loss as to why it's a problem on the real forum and not the test forum, with the same XF version, Social Groups addon version, and all the same addon settings and permissions.

Last edited:
I've basically exhausted all I can think to try, including finding where in your code it is throwing the error ("\src\addons\Truonglv\Groups\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum.php" line 57, presumably), but all I can tell there is that XenForo itself is throwing a 403 (forbidden) error from trying to view the forum node and that code is changing it to a more relevant error message. I guess the 403 is thrown by XenForo because the user's permission to view that forum node isn't found, for some reason? But I have no idea why that would be, especially after rebuilding all caches for this addon multiple times.

Any suggestions or insight you can provide as to what's going wrong or what might fix it would be greatly appreciated.

OK, finally found the cause of it. A parent node of a parent node which the group discussion forums are created under was set to private under node permissions, due to somewhat poor node structure on our part. Clearing that out fixed it. Makes sense now that I found the cause of it.
The thing which really confused me was why the problem only popped up now after these updates, and it worked before, with that same "private" node flag. I assume it's due to improvements in how Social Groups handles permissions for who is supposed to be able to view group discussion forums or something like that.

Anyway, problem solved, and maybe someone else having a similar problem in future will find this useful. :)

This can be marked as not a bug.

Back