Implemented Use 1 forum node (or more) per group

alfa1

Currently all groups have threads in the same nodes. Am I correct that there is 1 node for each privacy type? (open, closed, private) And are all group threads with the same privacy type lumped together in the same node?

This approach seems tricky to me, because we do not only have permissions per privacy type. We also have permission per group.
Please consider to use a forum node for only 1 group. This way everything stays much more separated. Permissions become easier. And it will also be easy to fetch group totals.

Maybe we misunderstand each other. This is not what I mean.

This is how it is now:
group 1 has forum node 1
group 2 has forum node 1
group 3 has forum node 2
group 4 has forum node 1

This is how I would like it to be:
group 1 has forum node 1,2,3
group 2 has forum node 4
group 3 has forum node 5,6
group 4 has forum node 7

No forum node should have threads from multiple groups.

What I am suggesting is to automatically create a new forum node for every group.

Last edited:
This is a complicate Extension, I hope no Bugs will result.
Why does Group 1 Need 3 Forum nodes?

I would understand following

Group 1 - node 1,2,3
Group 2 - node 2,4

So Group 1 and 2 both have node 2 they see and can use together.

But why should 1 Group Need more then 1 node :eek:

I even did not understand the Feature that you can Change the linked node,...
So I am very happy how it is right now ;)

Erich

The reason I ask for this is to resolve the current bugs. I do not think the current approach is sound or scalable.
Currently all groups have their threads lumped together in the same nodes.
The result is that there is no order. I see many problems manifesting from this.

This seems the cause for many permission bugs like this: Can anyone see my secret group or other bugs like this: Recent threads sidebar block does not show all recent threads There are many examples. It also the reason why popular groups does not show the correct groups. Thread posts and views are not counted. You can have a group with thousands of posts without it being listed as popular group. I am not going to report that as a bug because I do not want to offend nobita with it.

Essential features that we need are too hard to implement for Nobita. Like showing the number of threads, posts, node views. Or sorting groups by it. or removing dead groups.
If a social group would basically become a node with xenforo child nodes, then this would all be much easier. Standard XenForo functionality can simply be used.
What if a group becomes so popular that you need to make it a normal forum or even put it on its own domain? Or what if you need to somehow export your group threads after XF2? That seems very problematic if all threads are mixed together.

I even did not understand the Feature that you can Change the linked node,...
ericheMaybe only Nobita understands that. No one needs to change nodes.

The feature request I made was to have functionality for multiple nodes per group, because I have large groups with over 1000 members. Nobita was kind enough to implement the feature request.
I dont know why the group owner should link nodes or change it. I think that the group owner should not be allowed to do this.

@Nobita I am sorry if I have somehow offended you with my feature requests. I am only trying to make clear what features and changes are important.
I think you do a great job with great care. And I thank you for implementing so many features.

Back