No Thanks Automatic group invites

alfa1

To make groups grow faster and increase popularity we need automatic invites. Members who have interest in the group topic should be invited to the group.

Here it how it would work:

The group staff should be able to set up criteria similar to user criteria. For example:
  • user has at least X posts
  • user is in usergroup X,Y,Z
  • user has more than X posts in node Y, Z
  • user has keyword A, B or C in profile field X, Y or Z.
  • user location is X.
  • user has at least X trophy points
After the group staff has set up invite criteria its sent to the moderation queue.
Super moderators and admin can approve or deny it.

Users who meet the criteria will receive a group invite.
Users will only receive an invite once per group.

Last edited:
The field: user is in usergroup should not available to public.

An example of how automatic group invites are extremely useful:
International sites will have social groups per country / state or city. So if all members from New York are automatically invited to a social group for New York members, then this will make the group active because the group is interesting for all New York members. Its very appealing for members to find people with the same interest (website topic) in the same location.

On my site I have groups for all countries and states in the world. The profile field location has pre-set values. So as staff I should be able to setup a group with automatic invites to all users who have 'New York' in their location profile field.
Once the groups become active, group members can apply to become group owner.

The same can be done for members who are interested in 'soccer' because they have 'soccer' in their 'interests' profile field. The admin can make an interest profile field and let members fill this in. Then the staff can create social groups for the most popular interests. If all members with interest in soccer are automatically invited, then this will result in active popular groups.

Its special for you. If you have about 10k groups and 100k members. This functions can't work for big board. Also i will receive 10k invites of groups. Terrible. Its lack of interest!

Back