Anonymous Posting

Anonymous Posting [Paid] 1.0.6

No permission to buy ($30.00)

BirdOPrey5

Hello,

I purchased this add-on as I recently upgraded from VB 3.8x and we had an Anonymous forum where anonymous posting was allowed. I read how this was different- like the VB version required an "Anonymous" user to be created but this did not, it still seemed like it would work for our needs.

However in the first two minutes ot testing I posted an anonymous reply to a thread and then when I went to the Forum Index the last post in that thread show's my username, my avatar, and links to the "Anonymous" post when someone clicks on it. This isn't anonymous at all. Am I missing something?

There are other problems too but this is the biggest problem.

To be clear my setup is that I only want Anonymous posting to be available in a single forum so only the selected forum has the None Permissions set for groups to use the Anonymous add-on. No group has permission to view who made anonymous posts.

There is also a problem with the fact any moderator van view the IP address of the anonymous poster but that isn't as big an issue right now.

Any ideas on the forum index problem?

BirdOPrey5

Also see the Notifications sent of new posts show the correct user who made the post rather than Anonymous, and the What's New section has the original user as well. It's as if the "Anonymous" only overrides the avatar and username in the thread and nowhere else on the forum?

PHP 7.1.26
XF 2.1.0
MySQL 5.6

Please let me know if you need more details, or if this will not work, can I get a refund? Thank you.

BirdOPrey5

I upgraded to 1.0.3 and it's still not fixed. I created this "Anonymous" post after installing the update and it's still showing my username to both me and regular users and neither group has the "Can view" permission.

And in What's New... as a different user, using default style...

Notifications are fixed and working however.

Other than the latest activity/what's new/forum index issues also there seems to be no option to make the first post of a thread anonymous, is that by design? If so can be added because the majority of the use was people starting anonymous threads to bring up topics they didn't want to start under their own username.

Also, another issue, although administrators can see the "Posting as Anonymous?" checkbox, other usergroups cannot even with the Can Use permission set to yes for that group.

-Joe

BirdOPrey5

Thank you, I appreciate the fact you have fixed these issues quickly, however after consideration and discussion with my users I don't think we are going to use the mod. The problem is fundamental to the implementation and from what I read I doubt is anything that can be "fixed." Unless and until a mod comes out that allows posts to be made by an actual user called "Anonymous" (an existing user on our forum) there is too much change the real identity of the post could leak out, if not now, in the future. So long as the posts are really by the user who made them and not by a seperate user than if the mod ever breaks due to an XF upgrade, needs to be removed, or otherwise has an issue the real poster's identities are in jeopardy. Even if I trust my current mods not to look up users by IP address what if someone accidentally moves an anonymous post or thread out of the anonymous forum? Another potential for a data leak.

Thank you again for the updates, i do appreciate them, but unfortunately I can't implement this on my site.

BirdOPrey5

So had 1.0.5 installed for a bit and came across an issue when trying to navigate to different pages of threads in forums with dozens/hundreds of pages where you can click on the ",,," between the page numbers and manually enter a page number to go do. Doing so causes an error with this info in the server log:

• TypeError: Argument 1 passed to Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\Repository\ContentData::addUsersIntoThreads() must be an instance of XF\Mvc\Entity\ArrayCollection, null given, called in /home/zzzzzzz/public_html/src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php on line 57
  • src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/Repository/ContentData.php:95
  • Generated by: Max Power
  • Mar 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Stack Trace:

#0 src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(57): Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\Repository\ContentData->addUsersIntoThreads(NULL)
#1 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(321): Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->actionForum(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#2 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(248): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Forum', 'Forum', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\Reroute))
#3 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(100): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\Reroute))
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(50): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#5 src/XF/App.php(2177): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#6 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#7 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#8 {main}

Request State:

array(4) {
["url"] => string(40) "/index.php?forums/general-amb.2/page-605"
["referrer"] => string(63) "https://zzzzzz.com/index.php?forums/general-amb.2/"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["forums/general-amb_2/page-605"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Happened a number of times on a number of different forums. Went away as soon as this mod was disabled. Any ideas?

Pinn

Where can I enter the ID for the user who posts as an anonymous?

Pinn

It's not compatible with "Post Comments" and the Profile posts.

Truonglv

Staff member
Tech Support
The description does not say that it's support Profile posts yet.

Also what is "Post Comments"?

Epi

I have 2 other small suggestions,
  • make it possible while editing a post to transfer the post to anonymous if possible for the creator
  • show the post as anonymous button in the quick create thread on top of topics
thanks for reading Truonglv

Epi

Sorry to keep you annoying with my suggestions lol but this is my last one... probably :D

If you enable
[tl] Anonymous Posting: Can view
it would be nice for admins and moderators to see if a user posted as anonymous so they don't accidentally reveal their identity. by responding to it.

Something along the lines of: 'this user posted as anonymous' metioned somewhere

Thanks again for this great addon.

Last edited: