Fixed Super Admin Permissions Multiple Issues

Freelancer

It is VERY difficult to have the Super Admin be "in charge" of Social Groups. Everything can only be handled through workarounds... that shouldn't be the case. As Super Admin I must be in FULL CONTROL of everything...

Multiple Issues I found while having Social Groups on a live board:
  1. Super Admin can not just join a group right away. I must agree to the group rules and write a message if the group demands to write "a brief message to join". This should be totally overridden by the permission "bypass all group rules".
  2. Super Admin can not promote HIMSELF to become the groups' Group Admin. I had to add another admin account to let that admin promote my Super Admin Account to become Group Admin... This should be totally overridden by the permission "bypass all group rules".
  3. Super Admin can not promote the Group Starter... the group starter is automatically "Group Admin" and then has more rights than the Super Admin... he can promote the Super Admin, but the Super Admin can not promote or remove the Group Starter.... This should be totally overridden by the permission "bypass all group rules".
There are the permissions called "Bypass all group rules" – they REALLY should mean exactly that: Ignore ALL Member Roles Group Permissions. Everyone who has this permission set to yes should be able to completely take over the group and manage everything in the group.

Please fix this urgently, it keeps me from allowing users to create groups on their own.

So only if the Super Admin is the group owner he has all rights... that's not good. He should have all right even if he is not. Also it is not very "nice" from a psychological standpoint to let users create social groups and then "reassign" (----> "take away" to tell the truth) from the creator. It would be better to have the group creator be the group owner and give the super admin all rights right away without any "hacking into the group"...

In addition to the above: when a user creates a group, he has the "group admin" rights, which is MORE than he should have.

It is logical that I give the Super Admin the highest set of permissions in his member role, so he can do everything. But then it is the group creator/owner/assignee that automatically receive the member role of the "group admin", so there is a conflict between the permissions of the group admin and the super admin. I would have to circumvent this by giving the group admin less permissions so the user that creates a group can not abuse the permissions. But then I would limit the Super Admin if I reassign the group to him... I would have to make an extra role that has more rights, but then it is not the group admin. This is a little bit too much circumventing and hacking for my taste. I need to think about it a little more.

I have a solution now: I made the "admin" (role id) called "Group Creator" and then give him LESS RIGHTS... Then I created a NEW role "Group Admin" and gave it MORE RIGHTS... it is a slight "tweak" of the logic/system behind member roles but it works.

So, a group creator (a user that has the permission to create groups) starts a group with less rights and then the Super Admin joins the group and becomes the "Group Admin" with more rights and can then promote the "Group Creator" to any other role.

Back