[BUG] Access Denied Error when Posting Thread in Group

Foxtrek_64

Hello,

Installed the groups plugin and set up a group. The plugin is configured to use a groups entry in my forum. When I go into the group as the group owner, I am able to create a new forum in my group, but when I attempt to post in that forum, it returns an access denied error. My highest group (admin) has all standard permissions and as a group admin I also have create, edit, and delete forum permissions. I additionally have rights to create posts and reply in the archive forum.

What is preventing me from creating threads?

I don't know about him.. but the only "error context" I am getting (and I have every permission set in the groups settings for the add-on) is this

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 4.51.56 PM.png

This MAY have something to do with the other error I posted for support that actually had a stack trace that was present.

OK... I think I figured out the posting issue.
The member roles are somewhat confusing.
Honestly, ANY member of a group should have the ability by default to post in a thread. But apparently you have to specifically set any group to have permissions, and where it's located at makes it look like it's for admin type permissions.
I'm pretty sure this change came into effect with the recent change in how the user forums were created.
Foxtrek_64, go the Edit Member Roles and make sure every role listed has the below checked in the Manage Threads option and then see if you can post. Doing this for each Member Role seems to solved my posting issue.

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 4.58.55 PM.png

As I said, the phrase manage threads makes it seem like you are assigning the ability to actually MANAGE the functions, when in reality you are simply setting permissions.
The use of something like Thread Permissions, Member Management Permissions, Group Management Permissions would be more precise to me.

This makes much more sense and is more descriptive.

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 5.12.25 PM.png
and as you can see, it is what I changed the phrases to for my site use.

Last edited:
OK... I think I figured out the posting issue.
The member roles are somewhat confusing.
Honestly, ANY member of a group should have the ability by default to post in a thread. But apparently you have to specifically set any group to have permissions, and where it's located at makes it look like it's for admin type permissions.
I'm pretty sure this change came into effect with the recent change in how the user forums were created.
Foxtrek_64, go the Edit Member Roles and make sure every role listed has the below checked in the Manage Threads option and then see if you can post. Doing this for each Member Role seems to solved my posting issue.

View attachment 6218

As I said, the phrase manage threads makes it seem like you are assigning the ability to actually MANAGE the functions, when in reality you are simply setting permissions.
The use of something like Thread Permissions, Member Management Permissions, Group Management Permissions would be more precise to me.

This makes much more sense and is more descriptive.

View attachment 6219
and as you can see, it is what I changed the phrases to for my site use.
TD PerryThis seems to have gotten it. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering but I don't think the Thread Permissions tab appeared until I had at least one group with a forum in it, because that wasn't there when I initially set up forum permissions for group admins.

Either way, now that this tab is visible I was able to set up permissions exactly as expected.

This seems to have gotten it. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering but I don't think the Thread Permissions tab appeared until I had at least one group with a forum in it, because that wasn't there when I initially set up forum permissions for group admins.

Either way, now that this tab is visible I was able to set up permissions exactly as expected.
Foxtrek_64On mine it was not there before the upgrade.
I don't remember if my discussion area I had already created was moved over or not and I had to create a new one.
Until I saw your message I hadn't even tried posting in it and when I did I saw that I could not and found the solution mentioned.

Back